Changing the user interface language
Adapt It Mobile supports the following languages for its user interface:
- Tok Pisin
By default, Adapt It Mobile will attempt to use the same user interface language as your device. If Adapt It Mobile doesn’t support your device’s language, it will fall back on English for its user interface.
To override this default behavior, complete the following steps:
- Open the User Interface language Settings in either of the following places:
- In Adapt It Mobile’s main screen, click on the globe icon in the lower left corner:
- In the Project Settings, click on the General Settings (the first link). The User Interface Language controls are just below the Editor settings.
- In the User Interface Language screen, click on the desired option.
- Click “Use the language specified on this device” to have Adapt It Mobile use the language specified on the device
- Select a specific language to have Adapt It Mobile override the default settings and always use the language you specify.
- Click on the OK button to save your changes and return to the main Adapt It Mobile screen.
Note on contributing: If you are interested in localizing Adapt It Mobile’s user interface to a language you know, we’d love to work with you! Send us an email at
developers at adapt-it dot org and let’s talk.
Working with Filtered Text
USFM, one of the document formats supported by Adapt It Mobile, can contain both text that needs translation and markup information about the text (translation consultant notes, for example) that should not be translated. Adapt It Mobile filters – or hides – some of this markup text, so that the user can focus on translating the text.
In Adapt It Mobile, filtered text is represented by a blue “funnel” icon next to the text being translated:
Viewing filtered text
To view the filtered text at a specific point in the adaptation, scroll the view to that point and click the Filtered Text icon. A screen similar to the following displays:
This window has the following elements:
- A title line, with the current index and total number of usfm markers that are being filtered out in the display.
- The current marker being displayed
- The text associated with the filtered marker
- Informational text that states whether the filtered text can be made available for adaptation (text in red cannot be made available for adaptation; text in green can).
- If there is more than one filtered marker, there are also arrow keys that allow the user to go to the previous / next filtered marker.
To move to the previous / next filtered marker, click on the forward / back arrows:
To close the filtered text window, click on either the X icon in the upper right corner of the window or in the darker area outside the window.
Changing Editor Settings
Currently Adapt It Mobile has the following editor settings that can be modified:
Copy Source (default = checked) When checked, Adapt It Mobile will automatically copy the source into the target field if an entry cannot be found in the Knowledge Base for the current source. Uncheck this box if you would like the target edit field to remain empty if no KB entry can be found for the source.
Wrap at Standard Format Markers (default = checked) When checked, Adapt It Mobile will cause the UI to display the word or phrase following text with USFM markers on a new line. Uncheck this box if you would like the the next phrase to appear just after text with USFM, for a more compact display.
Show Preview Button (default = unchecked) When checked, Adapt It Mobile displays the Preview Mode button in the toolbar of the Adaptation page:
Preview Mode allows you to quickly view your translations as you work. Click on the Preview Mode button to show a read-only display of your current translation – i.e., just the target text. If you spot an area that needs improving, you can click on the Preview Mode button again to return to the normal adaptation mode and make the needed edits. Here is an animation of the Preview Mode in action: